I know asparagus season is nearly over (or perhaps completely over in some locales) but I haven’t been able to resist the late asparagus. Last week it was risotto with asparagus and recently it’s a pizza topped with shaved asparagus…perfect for Vegan Pizza Day tomorrow! Read on for the recipe.
Shaved asparagus, tomato, cashew cheese and pine kernel pizza
- 1/2 recipe pizza dough, recipe follows
- 1 serving cashew cheese, recipe followers
- 4-5 stalks of asparagus, finely shaved (with a vegetable peeler)
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, in your favourite colour (I used orange!), cut in halves
- 2 tbsp pine kernels (pine nuts)
- Zest of one unwaxed lemon
- Preheat oven to 230 C / 450 F. Take half the dough (the recipe makes enough for two pizzas!) and roll it out, then spread it on a baking tray. Spread the cheese out evenly over the surface of the pizza, then sprinkle with asparagus shavings (just use a vegetable peeler), cherry tomato halves, and pine kernels. Using a cheese grater or lemon zester, zest the lemon and sprinkle the zest evenly over the pizza.
- Bake pizza for 10 to 15 minutes, until the edges of the crust start turning golden brown.
Makes enough for two pizzas
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let rest for 5 minutes, until yeast begins to foam.
- Add the oil, salt and flour and mix using a wooden spoon, incorporating the flour as much as possible. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, until it becomes soft and elasticky. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towl. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It should double in size.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down, then roll out the amount desired (this recipe makes enough dough for 2 medium pizzas), and put on a baking tray.
- 2 tbsp cashews, finely ground or soaked overnight
- 200g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soya milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian spice blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grind cashews in a spice or coffee grinder. Or, soak them overnight.
- Add ground or soaked cashews, tofu, soya milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso, tahini, garlic powder, Italian spice blend, and salt to a food processor and process until smooth.