Today’s Vegan MoFo prompt asks us “burritos vs. tacos?” For me, it’s a no-brainer.
They won my hearts of palm vs. jackfruit tacos challenge last year.
And they are delicious.
Plus, hearts of palm are readily available (at least at supermarkets in the UK) and not too expensive.
Hearts of Palm Carnitas Tacos
- 6 gluten-free corn tortillas, heated up (if you have a gas hob/stove, definitely heat them directly over the flame – they taste slightly charred and so good! Just be careful with the flame!)
- 220 g / 8 oz hearts of palm
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 2 oranges, cut in half
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cashew crema (see recipe below)
- Your favourite salsa
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight or ground in spice grinder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp agave, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp salt, to taste
- Place the spices, onion, garlic, jalapeno, oranges and hearts of palm or jackfruit (depending which you opt to use) in a slow cooker/crockpot and cover with water or vegetable browth (add just enough to cover the ingredients). Heat on low for 8 hours (or high for around 4 hours).*
- After 8 hours, turn off the heat, remove the oranges and drain the liquid off.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the hearts of palm mixture (or jackfruit mix if you used jackfruit) and fry for a couple of minutes until browned and slightly crispy.
- Serve the tacos by heating the tortillas, then topping with the hearts of palm/jackfruit, shredded lettuce, cashew crema and your favourite salsa.
- Combine everything in blender.
*You could also cook it over a very low heat on the stove with the lid on for an hour or two, just checking occasionally to make sure the liquid hasn’t cooked off.
2 thoughts on “Hearts of Palm Carnitas Tacos”
Wow, these look great. I’ve never used hearts of palm or jackfruit before, I am really interested to try them as I have no concept of what they would be like.
Thank you Caeli! :) I find that hearts of palm and jackfruit both absorb flavours really well – I guess a bit like tofu – but the texture is softer and they kind of fall apart and go stringy. It’s an interesting experience! Let me know if you try them. :)