My Vegan Mofo theme is Suitable for Non-Vegans: delicious, non-scary food you can feed your non-vegan friends and family — food that will show them that you’re not crazy (well, not crazy for being vegan!). Like my page on Facebook to get the latest Mofo/Suitable for Non Vegans posts.
I don’t know why I’ve lived so long without okonomiyaki. These savoury Japanese pancakes-cum-omelettes literally translate to ‘grilled’ (yaki) ‘as you like it’ (okonomi), and you can fill them with just about anything you like! What makes them even more amazing is topping them with tonkatsu sauce and mayo (spicy mayo in my case).
Makes 2 servings
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour/cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp Vegg + 1/4 cup water, blended
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped courgette/zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped bok choy
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp togarashi seasoning
- 1 recipe tonkatsu sauce, recipe follows
- 1 recipe spicy vegan mayonnaise
- Mix the flour, corn flour/cornstarch, and baking powder together.
- In a blender, blend 1 tsp of Vegg and 1/4 cup of water together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in 3/4 cup water and the Vegg mixture you just blended together. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Add the green onions, courgette, carrot, and bok choy, and togarashi seasoning if using, and stir to combine.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat (if you don’t have non-stick, add a small coating of oil to the skillet) very hot. You can test by dropping a small amount of batter into the skillet; if it sizzles, its hot enough.
- Once the skillet is hot, pour half the batter in and spread out to form a large pancake. Cover with a lid and cook 3 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove the pancake and put it on a plate. Keep warm in an oven on very low heat if you need to warm it while you make the second one. If you’re not sure of your flipping technique, there are some good videos on Youtube.
- Repeat step 6 with the second half of the batter.
- Top the pancake with tonkatsu sauce, spicy vegan mayo, and togarashi seasoning if desired
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until everything is incorporated together.
Spicy Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- Mix mayonnaise and hot sauce together in a small bowl.