My Vegan Mofo theme is Suitable for Non-Vegans: delicious, non-scary food you can feed your non-vegan friends and family — food that will show them that you’re not crazy (well, not crazy for being vegan!). Like my page on Facebook to get the latest Mofo/Suitable for Non Vegans posts.
If you have never had zucchini blossoms/courgette flowers, you need to make these. Soon. Delicate yet crispy, and filled with a decadent and creamy cashew ricotta, these are the best.
Fried Squash Blossoms (Courgette Flowers) Stuffed with Cashew Ricotta
- 12 zucchini blossoms/courgette flowers
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp very cold water
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 recipe cashew ricotta, recipe below
- vegetable oil
- Carefully peel back the petals on the courgette flowers and stuff with one or two teaspoons of ricotta each. This can be done up to 30 minutes before coating and frying them.
- Prepare the flour and water coating for the flowers by mixing the cold water, flour, and baking soda.
- Very carefully, avoiding splashing any oil, heat the vegetable oil (enough to be around 1/2-inch deep) in a frying pan or wok until it sizzles when you drop a tiny bit of flour-water mixture in to test.
- Once the oil is hot, dip a ricotta-stuffed courgette flower in the flour and water mixture until coated, and place it in the hot oil. Repeat with the other courgette flowers, but be careful not to crowd the pan – you will need to fry these in batches!
- Allow the flowers to fry for 2-3 minutes, until they are just crisp on the bottom, then flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once the flowers are crispy, remove to a plate coated in a paper towel (place another plate upside down on top of the flowers if needed to keep them warm), and fry the other batches of flowers.
- Eat while they are still crispy and warm!
- 1/2 package (approx 0.5 lb or 200 g) firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 4 tablespoons cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch oof Italian dried herb mix, optional
- In a spice grinder, grind cashews until fine.
- In a food processor, blend cashews, tofu, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, basil, black pepper, and Italian herb mix until it forms a thick paste.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.