Healthy road trip snacks are essential for any road trips you’re taking this summer, whether that’s your summer vacation or a weekend trip to a family reunion. It can be tricky to find healthy food on the go, especially if you’re driving through areas where the only food for miles is found at rest areas, and usually consists of greasy burgers.
I’ve included a new section in the 2017 edition of my Amazon bestselling book, The Essential Vegan Travel Guide, specifically about planning adventures like road trips. Below is an excerpt from the book:
Healthy road trip snacks:
- Chopped fruit and veggies (e.g. carrot sticks, apple slices, grapes) that are easy to eat in the car
- Sandwiches or wraps (best if you have a cooler to keep them in)
- Dips for your veggies or for bagels/bread, e.g. hummus or veggie p âté
- Corn chips and salsa
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Crisps and crackers
- Popcorn (already popped, of course!)
- Plenty of water and juice to keep you going
- Chocolate or other treats – if you feel like baking before you head off, make something easy to transport like muffins or cookies
Re-stock your healthy road trip snacks supply at supermarkets along the way!
Finding healthy food on the road
If you know where you’re going to be staying each night, you can look up vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants in the area on Happycow, which lists vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants around the world. But make sure to have plenty of healthy road trip snacks in the car just in case! Pack a cooler and refill the ice supply at ice machines when you stop at a hotel for the night.
You can also look up chain restaurants that have vegan options. For a US list, see here.
For a UK list, see the Vegan Society’s list.
US road trippers can download the Vegan Xpress app (iOS, $1.99), which lists vegan options at chain and fast food restaurants. Handy when you’ve run out of healthy road trip snacks!
More healthy vacation ideas
Looking for more trips on planning a healthy road trip or another healthy, meat-free vacation? Check out The Essential Vegan Travel Guide! You can grab a copy for just $14.95 (or £11.95 in the UK).
UK folks can buy a copy on Amazon UK for £11.95.